Skip To Navigation Exiting Navigation - Circuit Civil
Civil Court Services

Circuit Civil

EFFECTIVE AUGUST 20, 2022, as a result of the recent order in Courthouse News Service v. Brenda D. Forman, et al., Case No.: 4:22cv106-MW/MAF, ALL FILERS USING THE E-PORTAL to file electronically are required to designate whether case-initiating documents contain confidential information when filing in Circuit Civil (CA), County Civil (CC) and Small Claims (SC) cases. Filers will be prompted to select one of three options on the Documents page to denote the filing as containing no confidential information, is accompanied by a Notice of Confidential Information, or is accompanied by a Motion to Determine Confidentiality. For more information, please contact the E-Filing Portal at

General Information

The Circuit Civil Department processes civil cases for disputes involving sums of money that exceed $50,000. Below are some of the types of cases that are filed in Circuit Civil.

  • Auto Negligence
  • Other Negligence
  • Professional Malpractice
  • Product Liability
  • Condominium
  • Contracts and Indebtedness
  • Real Property/Mortgage Foreclosure
  • Eminent Domain

Please refer to the Civil Coversheet Instructions in the Documents and Publications section of this page for a full list of Circuit Civil case types.


Working with the Circuit Civil Department

Please understand that Florida prohibits the Clerk’s Office from giving any legal advice. If you need legal advice, you may want to consider consulting a qualified attorney. Assistance for low-income filers can be found through Jacksonville Area Legal Aid (JALA). They can be reached at

Jacksonville Area Legal Aid (JALA)
126 West Adams Street
Jacksonville, FL 32202
Phone: (904)356-8371

The Clerk’s Office is unable to provide any forms related to circuit civil case types. For your convenience, you can find additional information about laws, opinions and forms in the Law Library on the second floor of the Duval County Courthouse.

Filing Documents with the Clerk’s Office

Electronic filing (e-Filing) is required for all attorneys filing in the State of Florida. For more information about e-filing, please visit the E-filing Portal. If you need help getting started, please visit our Electronic Court Access page here.

Those who choose to represent themselves in legal matters can also file documents electronically using the statewide e-filing portal at The portal is available for your convenience 24 hours a day, seven days a week. E-filing is not required for self-represented litigants and the Clerk’s Office will accept paper filings, either in person or by mail to the address below.

Viewing Case Information Online

For your convenience, you can view the case information online at the Clerk’s Online Resource e-Portal (CORE). A case number or Plaintiff or Defendant name will be needed to search and locate the case. If you have any question or concerns about CORE, we invite you to email the CORE Helpdesk at

Defendant Information

If you are a defendant in a civil case, you are not required to have an attorney to file a case or case documents in the Circuit Civil Department. Please understand that the Clerk’s Office cannot by law offer any legal advice or assistance.

Served a Summons

A Summons and Complaint are legal documents that start a legal action. A Summons is served on a person involved in a legal proceeding to inform the individual that he or she must answer the Complaint.

Someone who is served with these documents and accused in the Complaint of violating civil laws is called the Defendant in the case. The party who files a Complaint claiming to have suffered loss or injury is called the Plaintiff in the case. Cases can often have multiple Plaintiffs and Defendants.

Answering the Complaint

The Defendant in the case must file an Answer to the Complaint. This must be done within 20 calendar days of the day he or she was served with the Summons and Complaint. The original Answer must be filed with the Clerk’s Office, and a copy should be mailed to the Plaintiff or the Plaintiff’s attorney. If a Defendant fails to do this, a default will be entered against that Defendant. When a default is entered, the Defendant is accepting all of the allegations in the Complaint as being true. 

Information for Defendants in a Foreclosure case can be found on the Foreclosure Department page.

Plaintiff Information

Initial filing

The required items to begin a new case are:

  • Filing fee of $401.00
  • Summons
  • Complaint
  • Civil Cover Sheet (Form 1.997 found in the Documents and Publications below)

Information for Plaintiffs in a Foreclosure case can be found in the Foreclosure Department page.

Foreign Judgment

As its name suggests, a Foreign Judgment is a judgment that comes from a court outside of Florida. To file a Foreign Judgment in Duval County, the following is required:

  • Certified Copy of the Judgment rendered from the applicable state
  • Original Affidavit that has been notarized and identifies the debtor and creditors
  • If filed by an attorney, all documents must be e-filed


When any Motion is filed, it must be followed with a proposed order to be signed by the judge. When a motion is e-filed, it is the attorney’s responsibility to send a copy of the motion and order to the judge. Please accompany the motion and order with envelopes directly to the judge’s office. All mailings should be addressed to:

(The assigned Judge)
501 West Adams Street
Jacksonville, Florida 32202

To determine the assigned judge for a particular division and the contact information for their chambers, please visit

Writ of Possession

A Writ of Possession orders one party to give up ownership of property so another party can take possession it. The Clerk’s Office can issue a Writ of Possession ONLY if there is an order or judgment that specifically states that it be issued. There is a $7.00 fee for the Clerk’s Office to issue the Writ. For more information, please see Florida Statute 78.19(2).

Writ of Execution

A Writ of Execution puts in force a court judgment that orders a party to take or be in possession of property. The Clerk’s Office may issue a Writ of Execution ONLY if there is an order or judgment that specifically states that it be issued. There is a $7.00 fee for the Clerk’s Office to issue the Writ. For more information, please see Florida Statute 56.021 and Florida Statute 56.031.

Writ of Replevin

Please refer to Florida Statute 78.01 for the meaning of a replevin. The Clerk’s Office may issue a Writ of Replevin ONLY if there is an order or judgment that specifically states that it be issued. There is an $85.00 fee for the Clerk’s Office to issue a Writ of Replevin. For more information about issuing a Writ of Replevin, please see Florida Statute 78.045.

Medical Malpractice – 90-Day Extension

In Medical Malpractice cases, an automatic 90-day extension of the statute limitations will be granted to allow the reasonable investigation required by Florida Statute 766.104(2).

Notice of Domicile

If you want to show that you intend to maintain a Florida residence as a permanent home, you can file a sworn Notice of Domicile with the Clerk of Courts, according to Florida Statute 222.17. The Circuit Civil Department can issue a Notice of Domicile only for Duval County.

There are two ways to get a Notice of Domicile:

  1. Visit the Circuit Civil Department and ask the court to issue a Notice of Domicile. There is a $5.00 fee to have the court issue the notice, and then a $10.00 fee for it to be recorded ($15.00 total). Please submit one of the following:
    • Florida ID with your current address
    • Document or mail with your name and current address (i.e., a utilities bill, phone bill, lease agreement, etc.)
    • Military ID
  2. Print the Notice of Domicile and have it notarized. Fees are determined by the notary public you choose. Once notarized, the Notice of Domicile still must be recorded by the Recording Department, Room 1051 at the Duval County Courthouse. There is a $10.00 fee to have it recorded.


Current fees for Clerk services can be found by visting the Clerk's fee schedule page at the link below. 

Fee Schedule Page

get adobe readerAdobe Reader Required

Office Information

The Circuit Civil Department

Office Hours
Monday through Friday (excluding holidays): 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Mailing Address
Duval County Clerk of Courts
501 West Adams Street, Room 1209
Jacksonville, FL 32202

(904) 255-2000

Search Results Close
Exit Search Popup